Shore Sports Network Top 5 Girls Soccer Goals of 2023
With so many remarkable goals throughout the season, Shore Sports Network put together a list of the top five that were seen in person. Any goals that were submitted on video, but were not witnessed live by SSN Girls Soccer Writer Nick Lowe were were not considered for this list.
1. Rylie Rampone, Manasquan, Oct. 14 at Point Boro - In the closing minutes of the Shore Conference Tournament quarterfinal game against Point Pleasant Boro, Rampone headed in the game winner off a free kick taken by Renee Herbert. What made this goal even more special: it sent Manasquan into the SCT semifinals for the first time in the program's history and it was done on the same field her mother, Christie Rampone, scored so many goals in her high school career.
2. Rylie Rampone, Manasquan, Oct. 10 at Toms River East - Rampone makes the list twice and both goals came during the SCT. In the opening round against Toms River East, Rampone scored the equalizer late in the first half. Why this goal makes the list: it came from about 35 yards out near the sideline and went upper 90 in the far post.
3. Lyla Ottenheimer, Manalapan, Oct. 5 vs. Freehold Twp. - Ottenheimer scored the biggest goal of her young career in a regular season battle to determine the winner of Class A North. In overtime, she received a pass from Savannah DiSabato and made a move to get an open look at the goal and ripped a shot that went just over the goalkeeper's hands. Not only was it a gorgeous shot, but it was one of the biggest goals in the season, ending Freehold Township’s 56-game unbeaten streak in the Shore Conference.
4. Alexis Garcia, Toms River North, Sept. 12 at Toms River East - During a Class A South matchup in the opening week of the season, Garcia scored one of her best goals of her career. Toms River North was awarded a free kick from 40 yards away and Garcia blasted the ball in the top corner of the goal that went over the Toms River East goalkeeper's hands.
5. Jade Vieira, Howell, Oct. 19 vs. Manasquan - Late in the second half in the SCT semifinal game against Manasquan, Howell was awarded a free-kick from 40 yards away. Vieira stepped up and blasted the ball into the net to put the game out of reach and help send Howell to their second straight SCT final.