Girls Soccer – Rumson-Fair Haven Makes Its Move; Shore 16 Welcomes Three New Teams
Week 4 Shore Sports Network Shore 16
1. Freehold Township (9-1) Previous Rank: 1 -. Freehold Township went 3-0 and clinched first place in SCT Group 1 after defeating Barnegat 8-1. Earlier in the week they won two Class A North games, defeating both St. John Vianney and Howell, which was ranked No. 10, 4-0. Junior Gaby Parker scored five goals in those two games for the Patriots. This week Freehold Township wraps up division play traveling to Middletown North on Monday and to No. 2 Manalapan on Thursday to decide the division.
2. Manalapan (7-1) Previous Rank: 2 - After playing four games last week, Manalapan only played one game this week, defeating Marlboro, who was ranked No. 8, 2-0. Senior Vanessa Sarf scored her eighth goal of the season in the first half to give the Braves the division victory. This week, they travel to St. John Vianney on Monday and host No. 1 Freehold Township on Thursday. If they defeat SJV, the game against Freehold Township will decide Class A North.
3. Red Bank Catholic (9-0) Previous Rank: 3 - One of three teams to remain undefeated, RBC won two Class A Central games last week. The Caseys trailed Holmdel, 1-0, in the second half and scored two goals to win 2-1. The Caseys also defeated Shore Regional 4-1, thanks to four different goal scorers in the game. This week, RBC hosts No. 6 Wall on Monday, to decide who will remain undefeated in Class A Central. They wrap up division play against Raritan on Wednesday.
4. Central Regional (9-0) Previous Rank: 5 - Central Regional got revenge for last season's 4-3 loss to Brick Memorial, defeating them, 2-1, last week to take control of first place in Class A South. They also defeated Brick Township in a division matchup, 3-0. Senior Arianna Chidiac scored a goal in both games for the Golden Eagles. This week Central Regional wraps up their division play traveling to Southern on Monday and then Toms River North on Wednesday.
5. Brick Memorial (6-2) Previous Rank: 4 - Brick Memorial switched spots with No. 4 Central Regional this week after falling to the Golden Eagles, 2-1, in a Class A South game. The Mustangs rebounded and defeated No. 10 Jackson Memorial, 2-0. Junior Giselle Lizardi was fantastic in goal in both games and picked up her fifth shutout of the season. Brick Memorial wraps up division play traveling to No. 15 Toms River East on Monday and hosts No. 16 Toms River South on Wednesday. Friday, they finish SCT Group 5 play, hosting Middletown North. The Mustangs need to win or tie to lock up a spot in the SCT.
6. Wall (9-1) Previous Rank: 6 - Wall won two Class A Central games to remain undefeated in the division. First they defeated Raritan 3-0 with Erin Farrell scoring two goals in the game. The Knights also defeated Holmdel, 4-1, with Farrell scoring two goals in that game and assisting on another. Saturday night the Knights defeated No. 12 Manasquan 2-0. Sophomore Madison Miller scored two goals in the first four minutes of the second half to give Wall the non divisional victory. Monday Wall travels to No. 3 RBC in a matchup of two division unbeatens. Wednesday the Knights travel to No. 11 Rumson-Fair Haven in a division game.
7. Point Boro (8-0-1) Previous Rank: 7 - The Panthers have not given up a goal in six straight games, winning three games last week. Point Boro defeated Pinelands, 8-0, and Manchester, 2-0, in Class B South play. Senior Kyleigh Cilento had two goals and two assists in those games. Saturday, the Panthers defeated Toms River North, 3-0, in a non-divisional game. Senior Juliette Ryan scored two goals and junior Ava Bjorndahl picked up her seventh shutout of the season. The Panthers finish division play this week at Jackson Liberty on Monday and host Barnegat on Wednesday. Thursday, they finish SCT Group 10 play, hosting Keyport.
8. Howell (5-5) Previous Rank: 10 - The Rebels clinched a spot in the SCT after defeating Jackson Liberty 8-0 on Saturday. Earlier in the week, the Rebels lost to No. 1 Freehold Township, 4-0, in a Class A North game, but rebounded and defeated No. 9 Marlboro 1-0. Senior Jade Vieira scored the game winner in the first half for the Rebels. Wednesday Howell travels to Middletown North to finish division play and travel to No. 12 Jackson Memorial on Friday in a non divisional game.
9. Marlboro (5-3-1) Previous Rank: 8 - The Mustangs dropped one spot after falling to Howell and No. 2 Manalapan in Class A North matchups. Marlboro lost to No. 2 Manalapan 2-0 early in the week and then to Howell, who was ranked No. 10 last week, 1-0. This week Marlboro plays their last division game against No. 10 Middletown South on Monday.
10. Middletown South (6-3) Previous Rank: 11 - The Eagles have won four straight games since losing to Howell in overtime. Middletown South defeated Shore Regional, 2-0, in a non divisional game. Sophomore Bea Tinoco scored her 11th goal of the season in that game. Sophomore Kaleigh Kapler scored the game winner against crosstown rival Middletown North to give the Eagles a Class A North victory. Saturday Middletown South clinched first place in SCT Group 4 by defeating Freehold Boro. Middletown South finished Class A North play this week on the road against No. 9 Marlboro on Monday and St. John Vianney on Wednesday.
11. Rumson-Fair Haven (6-2) Previous Rank: Not Ranked - Rumson has flown up the rankings, winning four straight games. Last week, the Bulldogs defeated Red Bank Regional, 3-1, in a Class A Central game. Thursday, they defeated No. 14 Trinity Hall to clinch first place in SCT Group 9. Freshman Jordyn Sullivan scored the game-winner in the first half and senior Katie Walls protected the lead and earned the shutout in goal. Saturday, the Bulldogs won a non-divisional game against No. 9 Jackson Memorial, 1-0, in double-overtime. Junior Stella Saad scored the golden goal with less than one minute left in the second overtime. Rumson plays three divisional games, traveling to Holmdel on Monday and Shore Regional on Friday and hosting No. 6 Wall on Wednesday.
12. Jackson Memorial (8-3) Previous Rank: 9 - Jackson Memorial dropped three spots this week, going 1-2. The Jaguars started the week defeating Toms River North, which was ranked No. 15 last week, 4-1. Senior Renee Wanzor scored two goals in that game, giving her 10 on the season. The Jaguars then fell to No. 4 Brick Memorial, 2-0, in a Class A South game and to No. 11 Rumson-Fair Haven, 1-0, in double-overtime. Jackson Memorial will finish Class A South play this week by traveling to No. 16 Toms River South on Monday and hosting Southern on Wednesday. Friday, they host No. 8 Howell in a non-divisional matchup.
13. Manasquan (5-3-1) Previous Rank: 12 - Manasquan clinched a spot in the SCT after defeating Ranney in a SCT Group 7 game 5-0. Sophomore Jordyn Hollawell scored two of Manasquan’s four first half goals. The Warriors defeated Freehold Boro, 8-0, in Class B North action to remain undefeated in the division. Manasquan lost to rival and No. 6 Wall in a non-divisional game, 2-0, to end the week. Manasquan finishes division play this week when they travel to Matawan on Monday and Colts Neck on Wednesday. Saturday, they host rival St. Rose in a non-divisional game.
14. Trinity Hall (6-1-1) Previous Rank: 13 -.Trinity Hall defeated Matawan early in the week to remain undefeated with Manasquan in Class B North. The Monarchs clinched a spot in the SCT after splitting their Group 9 games this week. Trinity Hall fell to Rumson, 1-0, on Thursday and defeated Southern, 2-0, on Saturday to clinch its spot. This week, the Monarchs play three division games, traveling to Colts Neck on Monday and Raritan on Friday around a home game vs. Neptune on Wednesday.
15. Toms River East (4-4) Previous Rank: Not Ranked - Toms River East has won three straight games and secured a spot in the SCT. The Raiders won two Class A South games this week, starting with a 2-1 win over Toms River South. Senior Samantha Sosnicki broke the tie in the second half for the Raiders. Senior Peyton Gallagher scored all four goals for TRE in a win against Southern. This week, the Raiders host No. 5 Brick Memorial on Monday and travel to Brick Township on Wednesday to finish division play.
16. Toms RIver South (5-3) Previous Rank: Not Ranked - Toms River South gets back into the Shore 16 for first time since the preseason rankings. Last week, the Indians defeated Point Beach, which was ranked No. 14, in a SCT Group 4 game. Freshman Ava Knight scored a goal and assisted on the second to help the Indians secure a spot in the SCT. TRS also defeated crosstown rival Toms River North, which was also in the Shore 16 last week. Freshman Alexia Cecere scored her first career goal and the game-winner for the Indians. TRS was defeated by crosstown rival Toms River East 2-1. All three Toms River schools went 1-1 against each other. Toms River South finishes division play against two teams that have been ranked in the Shore 16 all season. Monday, they host No. 12 Jackson Memorial and Wednesday they travel to No. 5 Brick Memorial.