Girls Soccer – Manalapan Ends Freehold Township’s Reign as No. 1 in the Shore 16
Shore Conference Girls Soccer Week 5 Shore 16
1. Manalapan (9-1) Previous Rank: 2 - After coming so close in the last two seasons, Manalapan finally defeated No. 1 Freehold 1-0. Sophomore Lyla Ottenheimer scored the golden goal five minutes into overtime and Leila Shaw earned the shutout. Earlier in the week the Braves were able to hang on to defeat St. John Vianney, 3-2, in a Class A North matchup. Manalapan scored three goals in the first half and held on in the second half. Manalapan earned the No. 1 seed in the Shore Conference Tournament and will host the winner of No. 17 Manasquan and No. 16 Toms River East game on Thursday.
2. Freehold Township (11-2) Previous Rank: 1 - After going unbeaten for 46 straight games within the Shore Conference, Freehold Township fell to rival Manalapan in overtime, 1-0. The Patriots rebounded to defeat state-ranked DePaul Catholic in overtime, 4-3. Junior Danielle Howard scored her second goal of the game in overtime for Freehold Township. Freehold is the No. 2 seed in the SCT and will host the winner of No. 15 Trinity Hall and No. 18 Toms River South game on Thursday.
3. Red Bank Catholic (10-0-2) Previous Rank: 3 - RBC played two of its hardest regular season games last week and ended up tying both of them. Monday, the Caseys battled No. 6 Wall to a 0-0 draw in a Class A Central matchup. Two days later, they clinched the division by defeating Raritan, 2-0. The Caseys ended the week tying state-ranked Allentown, 1-1. RBC will be the No. 4 seed in the SCT and will host the winner of No. 13 Howell and No. 20 Shore Regional game on Thursday.
4. Central Regional (11-0) Previous Rank: 5 - Central finished Class A South play last week by defeating Southern and Toms River North. They went undefeated in division play and remain undefeated on the season. Central Regional will be the No. 3 seed in the SCT and will host the winner of No. 14 Marlboro and No. 19 Red Bank Regional game on Thursday.
5. Point Boro (11-0-1) Previous Rank: 7 - Point Boro completed its second straight undefeated season in Class B South and third straight division title. Last week, the Panthers defeated Barnegat, 5-0, and Keyport, 6-0, to finish SCT Group 10 play. Point Boro is the No. 8 seed in the SCT and has a first-round bye. They will host No. 9 seed Jackson Memorial on Thursday.
6. Rumson-Fair Haven (9-2) Previous Rank: 11 - Rumson will enter the SCT as one of the hottest teams in the Shore Conference. The Bulldogs are on a seven-game win streak and won three Class A Central games last week, including a 2-1 victory over No. 6 Wall in double-overtime. Junior Aubrey Scoble tied the game in the final minute for the Bulldogs and then scored the golden goal with six seconds left in double-overtime. Rumson is the No. 5 seed and will host the winner of No. 12 Brick Memorial and No. 21 Colts Neck game on Thursday.
7. Wall (9-2-1) Previous Rank: 6 - Wall played two Class A Central games that went to double-overtime last week. Monday they battled No. 3 RBC to a 0-0 draw to remain undefeated with them in the division. Wednesday they fell to then ranked No. 11 Rumson 2-1 in double-overtime. Wall is the No. 6 seed in the SCT and will face the winner of No. 11 Toms River North and No. 22 Holmdel on Thursday.
8. Brick Memorial (8-3) Previous Rank: 5 - Brick Memorial was the last team to qualify for the SCT, defeating Middletown North in a SCT Group 5 game 3-0 on Friday. Earlier in the week they were upset by division rival No. 15 Toms River East in overtime, 2-1. The Mustangs rebounded and defeated No. 16 Toms River South, 6-0, on Senior Night. Brick Memorial is the No. 12 seed in the SCT and will host the No. 21 seed Colts Neck Tuesday. The winner travels to No. 5 Rumson-Fair Haven on Thursday.
9. Howell (6-5) Previous Rank: 8 - Howell only played one game last week and defeated then-ranked No. 12 Jackson Memorial in overtime, 1-0. Howell is the No. 13 seed in the SCT and will host No. 20 seed Shore Regional on Tuesday. The winner travels to No. 4 seed Red Bank Catholic on Thursday.
10. Marlboro (5-3-2) Previous Rank: 9 - Marlboro finished division play in Class A North battling No. 11 Middletown South to a 1-1 draw. Marlboro is the No. 14 seed in the SCT and is hosting No. 19 seed Red Bank Regional in the first round on Tuesday. The winner travels to play No. 3 seed Central Regional on Thursday.
11. Middletown South (8-3-1) Previous Rank: 10 - Middletown South had a busy week, playing three games. They went 1-0-1 in division games, defeating St. John Vianney, 2-1, and battling No. 10 Marlboro to a 1-1 draw. Saturday, the Eagles defeated Princeton in a non conference game, 1-0. Middletown South is the No. 7 seed in the SCT and has a first round bye. They will host No. 10 seed Lacey, which also has a first round bye, on Thursday.
12. Toms River East (6-4) Previous Rank: 15 - Toms River East is on a six-game winning streak, including a 2-1 overtime win over Brick Memorial, which was ranked No. 5 at the time. Freshman Elle Dworzanski scored her biggest goal in her young career, the game-winner in overtime. TRE is the No. 16 seed in the SCT and hosts the No. 17 seed Manasquan on Tuesday. The winner travels to face No. 1 Manalapan on Thursday.
13. Manasquan (7-3-1) Previous Rank: 12 - Manasquan has won three straight games since its loss to No. 6 Wall. The Warriors finished the season tied with No. 14 Trinity Hall in Class B North, going 5-0-1 in the division. Manasquan is the No. 17 seed and travels to the No. 16 seed Toms River East on Tuesday.
14. Trinity Hall (9-1-1) Previous Rank: 14 - Trinity Hall has won four straight games since falling to No. 6 Rumson in a SCT group 9 game. Trinity Hall finished as co-champs with Manasquan in Class B North. Trinity Hall is the No. 15 seed in the SCT and hosts the No. 18 seed Toms River South on Tuesday. The winner travels to play No. 2 Freehold Township on Tuesday.
15. Jackson Memorial (9-5) Previous Rank: 12 - Jackson Memorial was one of the hottest teams in the Shore Conference three weeks ago. Now they have lost four out of the last five games with three of the losses being 1-0 in overtime. Jackson Memorial is the No. 9 seed in the SCT and has a first round bye. They will travel and play the No. 8 seed Point Boro on Thursday.
16. Lacey (10-2) Previous Rank: Not Ranked - Lacey has won nine straight games and eight of them were by shutout. Jackson Liberty finally scored against Lacey on a penalty kick in the ninth game. Lacey is the No. 10 seed in the SCT and will travel to face the No. 7 seed Middletown South Thursday.