Vote for the Ocean County, NJ Student-Athlete of the Month for June, 2021
Voting has begun for the Shore Sports Network/92.7 WOBM June Ocean County Athlete of the Month. Below are the five finalists from among the list of nominees submitted by the athletic directors of the Ocean County high schools. You have until Wednesday, June 30 at 10 p.m. to vote for your choice with the winner to receive a feature story, on-air recognition, a special award from Ocean Trophies of Lanoka Harbor, and a $100 gift card.
Voting is restricted to one vote per hour per device.
SSN/WOBM Ocean County Athlete of the Month Nominees
Name: Ava Cino
School: Central Regional
Sports: Softball (Team captain)
- Helped lead the Golden Eagles to the Class A South division title, Ocean County Tournament championship, and a 23-5 record.
- Set single-season school records for hits (54), home runs (8) and RBI (50). Drove in team-high 49 runs and batted .535
- Career batting average of .480 is a school record
- Selected to participate in All-Star game
- Class President, National Honor Society
- Headed to Liberty University as a preferred walk-on.
Name: Kailyn Kelly
School: Brick Memorial
Sports: Outdoor Track & Field, Gymnastics (Captain of the gymnastics team)
- Finished 2nd in the triple jump & high jump and 3rd in the long jump at the South Jersey Group 4 Sectional Championships.
- Finished 6th in the high jump at the Group 4 State Championships to earn a spot in the Meet of Champions.
- Was a 2nd team selection to the All-State gymnastics team.
- Brick Memorial’s female winner of the Shore Conference Sportsmanship Award.
- Will compete in track at the college level.
Name: Adriana Romano
School: Donovan Catholic
- Helped the Griffins win their second straight Tournament of Champions title to finish as the No. 1 team in New Jersey.
- Had the biggest hit of the season in the Non-Public A final when she smacked a game-tying, three-run home run with two outs and two strikes in the bottom of the seventh inning. Donovan would go on to win, 8-7, in 10 innings over Immaculate Heart Academy.
- Was the winning pitcher in the T.O.C semifinals, a 3-2 win over Clayton.
- Hit the go-ahead home run to help DC defeat Colts Neck and claim the Shore Conference Tournament title.
- Batted .535 for the season with a team-leading 47 RBI
- Was 14-1 on the mound with an 0.48 ERA and 172 K’s in 86 innings and threw two no-hitters.
Name: Matthew Sutton
Sports: Football, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track (Captain of both track teams)
- Football: 3-year varsity starter.
- Track: 4-year varsity athlete. Had a top-5 finish in the triple jump at the Ocean County Championships and a top-8 finish at the Central Jersey Group 3 Sectional Championships.
- 7-time Honor Roll student.
- Ambassador for student-athletes in the school.
- Will attend Fairleigh Dickinson University and be a member of the track & field team.
Name: Jack Tava
School: Toms River North
Sports: Baseball (Team captain)
- Most improved player on the team.
- Pitched 17 straight scoreless innings to close season.
- 4-year High Honor Roll student.