Former Southern Regional Standouts Reunited in NFL
A few notes for the first Monday in December.
- Today is the 79th anniversary of the Japanese attack on the US Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii which killed more than 2,300 Americans and forced the U.S. into World War II. I would hope that it’s still an important enough date in our nation’s history that it will be addressed in every history class today, whether in school or via remote learning.
- Friday I mentioned that the Beachwood Volunteer Fire Company was among those selling Christmas trees as part of an annual fundraiser. Each year I show my support by purchasing a wreath for my vehicle so imagine my surprise when I stopped by Sunday and saw the only thing left were a couple of trees and some grave blankets. Well done by the community!
- A pair of former Southern Regional standouts were on opposite sides Sunday in South Florida and for the second straight year Mike Gesicki’s Dophins got the best of Clark Harris and the Bengals. Gesicki who scored two TD’s last December had another huge day against Cincinnati with a career-high 9 receptions for 88 yards and a touchdown. Harris is one of the league’s top long snappers who is in his 14th NFL season and 12th with the Bengals. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 2017. Both were outstanding three-sport athletes at Southern with Gesicki playing basketball and volleyball while Harris played basketball and threw the javelin.
- While on the subject of football, how about the Giants? Their 4th straight win was by far their most impressive as they stunned the Seahawks in Seattle and did it by running the football and playing great defense which was the hallmark of their championship teams. On the other side you have the Jets who somehow let a receiver get wide open to catch the game-winning touchdown pass with 5 seconds left are now 0-12. Of course most Jet fans were happy as it helps them secure the #1 draft pick next spring.
- Because I’m a stand-up guy I will not mention Penn State’s total domination of Rutgers on Saturday. Well I guess I just did.
- If you have Apple TV+ and are looking for a show to binge then I highly recommend “The Morning Show” starring Jennifer Aniston, Reece Witherspoon and Steve Carrell. I got through all 10 episodes over the weekend and it was riveting.
Photo courtesy Eric Espada
Enter your number to get our free mobile app