Football: Video Plays of the Week, 11/26/13
Welcome to the latest edition of the Shore Sports Network’s top plays, highlighting the most dazzling and exciting moments from Shore Conference football action.
This week we take a look at the top clips from the semifinals of the NJSIAA playoffs. Obviously, we can’t be filming every game at once, so if you have a great clip on YouTube, Vimeo or some other service where it can be embedded, or if you have the raw video file, feel free to email me a link at email@example.com or tweet it to me at @Scott_Stump.
These are the Shore Conference plays of the week, but these two Delsea interceptions against Manasquan are worth taking a quick look at because of the athleticism on both plays before we get to the top 10.
The first is Delsea cornerback Ron Russell falling backwards while making a one-handed pick.
This one is defensive back James Chukwurah spinning around in mid-air to take away a catch and make it a turnover.
OK, now on to the top plays
10. Manalapan's Tyler Leonetti breaks off a 53-yard run against Sayreville. Leonetti slips a defender and is able to cut back inside for an extra 20 yards at the end. This set up a touchdown by Imamu Mayfield.
9. This is another one from the Braves' win over Sayreville as Rutgers recruit Saeed Blacknall adjusts to the pass to haul it in for a 35-yard touchdown from quarterback Dan Anerella to set the tone for the win.
8. Brick's Ray Fattaruso breaks off a 57-yard run against Burlington Township. He cuts back across the field and takes off as part of a 203-yard rushing night.
7. Ocean senior Cole Mehr takes a kickoff 80 yards to the house against Hopewell Valley. Not a lot of bright spots in this game for the Spartans, but this was one of them.
6. Barnegat junior Manny Bowen makes a diving interception in a 28-25 win over Northern Burlington. Bowen has been a great addition to a Bengals team that is re-writing school history. Another great play from this game was Cinjun Erskine's 46-yard bomb to Kyle Morris, which you can watch at the 1:26 mark here.
5. Manalapan linebacker Chris Noesges gets a good shot on the Sayreville quarterback. Noesges sent an early message that it was going to be a long night for the Bombers.
4. Brick's Carmen Sclafani takes off for a 51-yard touchdown run against Burlington Township, losing a defender with a stop-and-go. "What are you doin? You're slowin down, you're slowin down!" I'm bringing him in closer. "You're gonna do what?" I'm gonna hit the brakes, he'll fly right by.
3. Brick's Ja'Quez Johnson snags an interception and takes it 25 yards for a big touchdown in a 45-24 win over Burlington Township. The receiver is juggling it, and Johnson makes him pay for that mistake by snatching it out of mid-air and taking it the other way.
2. Toms River South quarterback Tymere Berry turns in a sensational 25-yard run against Shawnee. I know this game ended with a brutal gut punch for the Indians, but watch the double spin move by Berry to finish the run.
1. Charlie Volker's 80-yard touchdown run in the final seconds to win the game against Rahway for Rumson-Fair Haven. No surprise here. One of the most clutch runs you'll see. Volker takes a handoff on a basic off tackle play with the Bulldogs and everyone else thinking they'll just play for overtime in a tie game, but Volker had other ideas. It's at the 1:36 mark of this video, but you should watch the whole thing because he also had touchdown runs of 71 and 55 yards. You can check it out here.