The Elite Roll On
Week 2 in the books and one thing we all know this early in the 2013 season is the “elite” teams will make some noise come playoff time. Those 4 teams, which I consider elite are RBC, Manalapan, Lacey and Mid South. All 4 won this week, with the top 2-RBC and Manalapan- winning in convincing style. The other 2 had to struggle, but still managed wins and move to week 3 undefeated. Lets take a closer look at the action of week 2.
I had the pleasure of watching RBC(2-0) completely take apart a good Manasquan(1-0) team-41-0. Using a bruising defense and a balanced offense they rolled up 325 yards and held Squan to just 196, with lots of that coming with RBC subs in the game. Press on the sidelines were wondering when the last time Squan was in a mercy rule game on the losing side? With 2 QBs, 3 RBs, receivers who can catch and a college line on both side of the ball, it will be hard to beat the Casey’s locally. We will take games one at a time and worry about the playoffs when the time comes. No one locally has beaten the Casey’s since 2010 and they have a streak of 26 straight against Shore Conference opponents.
Manalapan(1-0) demolished Free. Twp.(0-2) 49-0 on Friday night in their 2013 opener. Their game last week with Jackson was postponed to Oct. 11th due to rain and lightning. Rutgers bound receiver Saeed Blacknall scored on the ground and through the air to lead the Braves. RB Tyler Leonetti also had TDs the same way. The Braves have Mid North this week and then the big one with Mid South at home on Oct. 4th.
#3 Lacey(2-0) struggled with T R North(0-2) on Sat night before pulling away in 4th quarter. The final was 34-22 as Tom Kelly and Christian Tutela had a big games. QB Kelly has now thrown for 7 TDs in 2 weeks and Lacey is a major threat through the air this year. They are also developing a ground game(Chris Jensen-81 yds.), which will make them tough to beat this year. TRN has a young team who will progress as the year goes on. Wouldn’t want to play them latter in year when all these young kids gain some experience. Lacey has winless TR East(0-2) this week and then the big one in A-South, as they travel to TR South, in what could determine the division champion.
Mid South(1-0) coming off a bye in week 1 had opening night jitters as Brick(1-1) took the Eagles into the 4th quarter tied 7-7. With 7 min left in the game QB Kyle Brey hit TE Tayler Hendrickson with a short pass and Hendrickson did the rest on a 38 yd. TD pass. Brey finished with 3 TD passes and 191 yds passing on the night. Brick QB Carmen Sclafani had a big night for the Dragons running for 127 yds. including a 66 yd. run for a TD. He also threw for 111 yds. as the Brick offense just couldn’t put it in the endzone. Mid South begins a tough 3 game stretch with (2-0) Howell, (1-0) Manalapan and (1-1) Manasquan. These 3 with tell if the Eagles go to the playoffs.
Teams off to the 2-0 start:
- Colts Neck 39-0 over North Brunswick
- Matawan 31-13 over Freehold
- Rumson 21-7 vs SJ V
- Mater Dei over 38-16 over Cardinal McCarrick
- TR South 27-20 over Southern
- Barnegat 42-34 over Manchester
- Ocean 7-0 over Neptune
- Point Beach 15-6 over Dunellen
- Wall 14-7 over Red Bank
- Howell 28-14 over Marlboro
Congrats to Jackson who opened their season with a 41-0 shutout over TR East.
Congrats to Brian Wilkinson and the Cats of Pinelands who broke their 22 game losing streak with a dramatic 16-13 OT victory over Point Boro.
Mon Don led by QB Vinny Grasso and RB Joey Fields won a big one over Lakewood as their defense took over the game in the 2nd half of a 27-6 win. Fields our player of the game scored on runs od 60 and 8 yds. on his way to post game honors. This “W” sets up the big B-South game with Barnegat this week on Friday night at home. Game could very well determine the champion of B-South.
Teams that needed the “W” after losing their opener: Brick Mem.(29-3) over Mid North. Long Branch(24-0) over Monmouth. Keyport (49-14) over Highland Park. Central(21-16) over Jax Liberty. Holmdel(7-6) over Middlesex.
Week 2 Top Ten:
- RBC(2-0) Easy victory over a good Manasquan team(41-0). Pass happy SJV host the Caseys this week.
- Manalapan (1-0) Opened their season with 49-0 win over Free Twp. Mid North next and then the big one with Mid South.
- Lacey (2-0) A little struggle with TR North (34-22) win, may show some vulnerability to the Lions. TR East (0-2) and then the big one with TR South for A-South supremacy.
- Middletown South(1-0) Brick gave the Eagles all they could handle, but the Eagles prevailed 28-7. QB Kyle Brey is a good one. They will be tested by much improved and 2-0 Howell. Better get the secondary ready coach.
- TR South (2-0) The Indians won the biggest game of the weekend as they defeated Southern 27-20. The Indians offense continued to roll as Tymere Berry ran for 115. Can’t rest as they travel to Brick for a huge A-South game. With Lacey up in 2 weeks, the Indians are in the “trap” game scenario—be carefull.
- Barnegat (2-0) The Bengals played without QB Cinjun Erskine, who has a minor injury, but QB Ricky Gerena stepped in and threw for 153 yds. and 2 TDs, and also gave the ball to RB A.J. Opre(148 yds.) as the Bengals put up 42 points as they held off Manachester in a 42-34 contest. Mon Don(1-0) on the road for B-South lead up next for Barnegat.
- Ocean (2-0) The “Big Red” won a key contest with Neptune-7-0. They scored with 5 min left as Tyler Thompson ran it in from 1 yd. out. Next up Matawan, who is off to a surprising 2-0 start.
- Colts Neck (2-0) The Cougars blasted North Brun. 39-0 in a non-contest game. The Cougars were led by RB Anthony Gargiulo with his 172yds. and 2 TDs. Coach LaCava continues to bring this program to the elite level. They have scored 84 points in 2 weeks and given up 0. Another possible romp vs Marlboro this week.
- Rumson (2-0) The Bulldogs used another solid effort from Junior RB Charlie Volker. He ran for 209 yds. and a TD in Rumson’s 21-7 win over SJV. Next up Holmdel(1-1)
- Point Beach (2-0) Why not the undefeated Gulls after what they have done in the last 2 years. Coach John Wagner’s program is established at the Beach. They will be tested this week by an unbeaten Spotswood team.
Just outside Top Ten: Matawan (2-0) Wall (2-0) Howell (2-0) Shore (1-1) Brick (1-1) Southern (1-1)
Join us at Water Street Grill in Toms River for our Thursday night football show—7-8:30 p.m. on 105.7 The Hawk. Game of the week is Southern at TR North Friday night at 7 p.m.