Football: Video Plays of the Week, 11/20/13
Welcome to the latest edition of the Shore Sports Network’s top plays, highlighting the most dazzling and exciting moments from Shore Conference football action.
This week we take a look at the top clips from the first week of the NJSIAA playoffs. Obviously, we can’t be filming every game at once, so if you have a great clip on YouTube, Vimeo or some other service where it can be embedded, or if you have the raw video file, feel free to email me a link at email@example.com or tweet it to me at @Scott_Stump.
This week we have 11 highlights from the opening round of the NJSIAA playoffs, as 15 Shore Conference teams advanced one step closer to a state final.
Here we go…
12. Brick’s Ray Fattaruso takes some West Windsor North defenders for a ride. Fattaruso ran for three TDs in the Green Dragons’ first state playoff win in 13 years. Check his run out here at the 24-second mark.
11. Jackson Memorial’s Khani Glover rips off a 66-yard touchdown run in a 24-21 win over Rancocas Valley in South Jersey Group IV. Glover went over the 1,000-yard mark in Jackson’s first state playoff win in seven years. He has a nice cutback at the end to lose a defender and finish the run. You can check it out here. As a bonus, here is the game-winning, 24-yard field goal by sophomore kicker Jared Calhoun with 50 seconds left in regulation.
10. Red Bank Catholic junior safety Mike Cordova gets in a good smash on the Immaculata quarterback in the Caseys’ 42-14 win.
9. In keeping with the theme of fierce hits, here’s one of the Shore’s best at it, Toms River South senior safety/linebacker Otis Kearney, with a stick on a ballcarrier in a 35-21 win over Moorestown that gave the Indians their first playoff win in 10 years.
8. We’ll keep it on the defensive side of the ball as Barnegat defensive lineman Tom Kampo takes an interception to the house in a 41-13 win over Pemberton that gave the Bengals a school-record eight wins. Kampo has two pick sixes this year on the D-line. Check it out here.
7. OK, time for some offense. Here’s Mater Dei Prep’s Tysaun White racing for a 62-yard touchdown that proved to be huge in a 12-7 upset of second-seeded Morristown-Beard in Non-Public Group I. It’s at the 1:18 mark of the video here.
6. Colts Neck tailback Anthony Gargiulo demonstrates how to start the game off right with a 78-yard touchdown run on the first play from scrimmage in a 35-14 win over Neptune in Central Jersey Group IV. He didn’t stop running all afternoon on his way to 275 yards. He also had plenty of encouragement from his dad, as you can hear in the background.
5. Brick Memorial’s Mike Basile explodes for an 85-yard touchdown run in a 14-13 loss to Manalapan in Central Jersey Group IV. This ultimately ended in a heartbreaker for the Mustangs, and their fans will be mad at the officials until 3013, but Basile provided a memorable moment by turning on the afterburners for this run.
4. Colts Neck junior Abdul Quddus pulls off a spin move at full speed while throwing down a defender in a 42-yard touchdown run against Neptune. Just like Gargiulo, Quddus had a career day of his own with 150 yards rushing.
3. Rumson-Fair Haven senior wideout Sam Shaud turns a short pass from Chase Caruson into a 73-yard touchdown in a 41-8 win over Bordentown in Central Jersey Group II. Shaud has been a glue guy for the Bulldogs, making one big play after another on both sides of the ball this year. Check out the catch at the 22-second mark here.
2. Red Bank Catholic offensive lineman Ryan Kroeger pancakes a defensive end in a 42-14 win over Immaculata. A rare offensive line highlight, this set the tone for RBC bullying its way into the semifinals.
1. When it comes to playoff excitement, you really can’t beat a game-tying touchdown with no time left on the clock in regulation, followed by the game-winning extra point. That was the case for Manalapan as Tyler Leonetti took it in, then Mike Caggiano finished it off in a 14-13 win over Brick Memorial in Central Jersey Group V. Our own Bob Badders was there to capture the pandemonium.