TOMS RIVER – For the first time during the first four weeks of the season Tuesday, the Toms River South boys soccer team – ranked No. 4 in the Shore Sports Network Top 10 – squandered a lead. This came just three days after another first for the Indians – their first loss of the season, a shutout defeat on the road against Lacey.

On Tuesday against crosstown rival and No. 2 Toms River North, the Indians made sure the list of unwanted firsts stopped there.

Toms River South's Jordan Urbaczek (left) and Toms River North's Tommy Butz challenge for a ball Tuesday night. (Photo by Matt Manley)

Sophomore Tyler Egnatuk skipped a shot inside the far right post in the 59th minute, just 1:39 after Toms River North’s equalizer, and Toms River South topped the Mariners, 2-1, to snap a seven-game Toms River North winning streak that began right after an opening-day loss to Kearny.

Coming off the 2-0 loss to Lacey on Saturday, the Indians got off to a fast start on Tuesday by scoring 3:46 into the game to go ahead of Toms River North, 1-0. Senior Ryan Shiffer touched a ball played forward to the ground, dribbled toward the end line and cross the ball to the far left post. The ball hit the ground and senior Jordan Urbaczek lined up a shot from six yards out to the far right corner of the net.

“This was definitely a game we wanted real bad,” Urbaczek said. “We had our undefeated streak snapped on Saturday, and we wanted to be the ones to end the streak they had going.”

Urbacek’s goal was the second Toms River South shot in the first four minutes, but it was the last one the Indians would take against the Mariners until Egnatuk broke the 1-1 deadlock. Toms River South played defensive against the more aggressive Toms River North side, which owned the overall edge in shots, 6-5.

The Mariners tied the game in the 57th minute when junior Joey Hertgen lined up a ball in the box and hit a low shot past Toms River South goalkeeper Kollin White.

“I was happy with our energy and our effort,” Toms River North coach Joe Mahon said. “This is my favorite place to coach because you get a playoff atmosphere that you don’t really get during the regular season. It’s a test for the kids to see how they handle a more intense atmosphere. Except for an early lapse on defense that led to the first goal, I thought we did a good job

The goal woke up Toms River South’s attack, as the Indians put together the winning push shortly thereafter and also got off two more shots following the go-ahead goal.

“Coach (Ed Leibe) told us at halftime that we weren’t attacking enough and that if we didn’t get back to attacking the goal, they could come back,” Urbaczek said. “That’s pretty much what happened, but it was also good to see us respond to giving up the lead. “

Toms River North was not able to get off a quality shot once Toms River South tied the game, but had a chance to tie the game at one prior to Hertgen’s goal, when senior fullback Tyler Floss fired a shot from an angle on the left side from close range. White, however, corralled the shot and made the Mariners work for several more minutes before they finally equalized.


Box Score

Toms River South 2, Toms River North 1




Toms River North (7-2, 6-1)




Toms River South (7-1, 6-1)




Goals (Assists): (TRN) Hertgen 57’; (TRS) Urbaczek (Shiffer) 4’, Egnatuk (Geerinck) 59’
Saves: (TRN) Brannagan 1; (TRS) White 4
Shots: Toms River North