NJSIAA Tournament

Sectional Finals

Central Jersey Group I

(4) Shore 62, (3) Point Beach 44

Senior Dan Largey scored a game-high 28 points, including 15-for-15 from the free-throw line, as the Blue Devils beat the two-time defending Central Jersey Group I champion Garnet Gulls and claim their first sectional title since 1967.

Shore will play South Jersey Group I champion Paulsboro Thursday at 7 p.m. at Pine Belt Arena in Toms River in the Group I semifinals.

Point Beach trailed 42-39 with 4:17 to play before Shore closed the game on a 20-5 run thanks to a perfect game at the free-throw line. The Blue Devils shot 26-for-26 from the stripe as a team.


South Jersey Non-Public A

At Jackson Liberty

(3) CBA 83, (1) St. Augustine 77

Senior Jack Laffey scored a career-high 38 points and junior Pat Andree added 28 to help the Colts hold off a fourth-quarter surge by the Hermits and win the South Jersey Non-Public A championship for the first time since 2009. CBA will play the winner of Wednesday's North Jersey Non-Public A final between Seton Hall Prep and Pope John Saturday at the Pine Belt Arena in Toms River.

Laffey and Andree combined to shoot 21-for-26 from the field and 11-for-12 from behind the three-point arc. Laffey made his first seven shots from the field and finished 13-for-17 from the floor, including 24 points in the first half. Andree, meanwhile, shot 8-for-9 overall and 7-for-7 from three-point range. He scored 19 of his points in the second half, with five of his threes coming after the intermission. As a team, CBA shot 13-for-16 from behind the arc.

Andree hit a fade-away three from the right wing just before time expired in the third quarter and junior Jack McGuire drained a three from the opposite wing to open the fourth and stretch CBA's lead to 61-44 - matching its largest of the game. St. Augustine then mounted a furious comeback, outscoring CBA 20-6 over the next four-plus minutes to pull within 67-64.

Andree answered with his fifth three of the half as hit was bumped and converted the four-point play on ensuing free throw to put CBA back up by seven. St. Augustine chopped the lead back down to three, 73-70, with 2:11 left and would not get closer. Laffey and Andree beat the Hermits press for a lay-up, with Andree hitting a cutting Laffey for a 75-70 lead with 1:45 left.

Andree then made one of his two key defensive plays in the final to minutes when he blocked a shot by Justyn Mutts and snared the loose ball away. Laffey then made both ends of a one-and-one to stretch the lead back to seven with 1:03 left. Both teams traded free throws to make it 79-72 and junior Sa'eed Nelson knocked down a three from the top of the key to cut the CBA lead to four with 32 seconds left.

Prior to Nelson's three, Mutts stole the ball in the back court and took it in for a potential lay-up to cut the CBA lead back to three, but Andree blocked the shot. St. Augsutine agains got the ball back on a turnover, but was whistled for an illegal screen, setting up two Andree free throws to make it 79-72.

After Andree made one of two free throws with 27.5 seconds left, CBA got a stop and Laffey drew an intentional foul along the CBA baseline with 15 seconds left. He knocked down both free throw to make it 82-75 and effectively seal the win for CBA.

McGuire added nine points, five rebounds and four assists for CBA, while Andree also had nine rebounds, four assists and four blocks. Shaun Belbey also handed out seven assists to go along with his four points.

Nelson led four St. Augustine players in double-figures with 30 points, with Mutts adding 10 and Austin Kennedy scoring 14. Mike Toner also scored 11 of his 13 in the fourth quarter to help spearhead the comeback.